JACKSONVILLE WATER WORKS JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: MAINTENANCE SERVICEMAN I – GRADE 7
Printable Version: Maint Serviceman Job Description
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Maintenance Supervisor and/or Crew Leader
JOB SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Crew Leader. Performs general maintenance of the water distribution system to include, hydrant and valve maintenance, leak repairs and, construction.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform skilled labor for maintenance and/or installation of distribution system to include, but not limited to, use of all tools such as drills, jackhammers, air compressors, generators, concrete saws, hydro excavators, tapping machine, and a variety of hand tools.
- Accept “on call” status during off duty hours as scheduled or as necessary consisting of investigation of the problem, and taking immediate action to correct the problem. Action taken consists of the same duties required during the workday.
- Operates Heavy Equipment as needed and as directed by Crew Leader or Maintenance Supervisor.
- Erects safety devices according to traffic regulation where applicable.
- Keep Utility vehicles clean, organized and stocked with the equipment needed to do the job; maintain and organize the equipment storage area.
- Performs backfill and cleanup task as directed.
- Assist in general upkeep of Utility building and ground on a regular basis.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, OR EDUCATION:
- Ability to perform work from verbal and/or written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a positive manner with the public and with other employees.
- Ability to drive automobiles, dump trucks and heavy equipment safely and use good judgment in their operation and use.
- Self starter
- Knowledge to landscape a job site after work is completed and lay sod when needed.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Valid Arkansas Driver’s license.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment, tools and other objects weighing up to approximately 100 lbs.
- Ability to perform manual labor in weather and terrain extremes.
- Ability to operate front-end loaders, and drive backhoes to and from job sites.
The Maintenance Serviceman works in a variety of situations including construction sites, treatment plant, confined spaces, driving a vehicle in and around public streets and privately owned lots, as well as in various types of weather and weather conditions. The position is normally a 40-hour week, although some overtime could be required. Will be scheduled for “on call” duty after normal working hours, as needed. The above information is intended to describe the general nature of this position and is not to be considered a complete statement of duties, responsibilities, and requirements.